Tuesday, March 30, 2010

It's hard being a moderate

I am a moderate; not just politically but in most areas of my life, and it seems to prevent me from making too many friends. I feel that many people that surround me are too ingrained in one thing or another and I like to dabble a little in both sides and fail to understand the idea of being one way all the time.

For example, I like to party as much as the next individual. It's fun to have a few drinks and let loose. However usually I do it once, get a really bad hangover and don't want to do it again for six months. I also enjoy more refined activities like sitting in a cafe and drinking a latte or dining at a fine restaurant. However the overly artsy folks at many cafes I can only handle in moderation and the prices at the restaurants make me feel like I am draining my finances for one meal. So again, I don't like to do them all the time.

So this results in my bar hopping friends thinking that I have the idea that I am better than everyone because I don't drink a lot. On the other hand my more refined friends think I am kind of trashy. I just can't win either way.

And this is all BEFORE we get on the topic of politics!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I had no idea that you had a blog! I totally sympathize since I am often in nearly the same position. People think I suck because I don't have the money or desire to go out and do things all the time, and then when I do invite people over they think I am boring, and on top of that, they think I am stuck up or something because of the things I believe.
    Worse, when I do have the money and desire to go out and do something, I can't enjoy it because I am with people who can spend money like it is water, and I can't, sigh!

    ReplyDelete