Thursday, May 13, 2010

Maybe I'm just bitter.

I realize that we are all limited by what we have experienced but I really wish some of these youngins at my school would get some experience already and come out from mommy and daddy's wings. I mean, I hear them whine about how mommy and/or daddy won't give them a ride somewhere or won't borrow them the car and what not. Here I am thinking 'Hell, sometimes I am lucky if my old rusty car will make it to school and I have had to skip school because I didn't have the gas money to get there.'

In my writing class the kids wanted to watch youtube videos the entire class period. The classes cost what...$160 a credit? I'd like to actually get something for that! I can watch youtube at home!

I'm not mad at the kids, it's not their fault. I just hope that when my kids are college age I have given them the skills and encouragement to have their own car and their own life. I think that with the fact that we are working poor and don't have the resources to hand life to them on a silver platter will definately help with that.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree! When I was going to the Tech College, I had to deal with unreliable vehicles, gas money, riding the bus on days when I couldn't take my car, and on top of it all, making sure my kids got dropped off and picked up from daycare. Then I sat there and listened to those in their late teens and early 20's drone on about how their parents drop them off and pick them up and pay for their cell phones and whatnot, but that their parents suck because they want their kids to stay home and do their homework rather than go out and hang with their friends.
    I bit my tongue, but I always wanted to say, "Try going to school while driving a junker, dealing with kids, and not having anyone else to pay your bills!"
    I understand wanting to give your kids everything you didn't have while growing up, but I think there needs to come a point when parents say, "Enough! Pay for your own toys!"
    Then I also think that maybe this is their parent's way of maintaining some sort of control over their kids. They can say, "I'm driving you to school and paying for your cell phone bill, so you have to study and get good grades." The kids are only protesting this treatment because they haven't ever had the responsibility that comes with so-called freedom from their parents.
    I have thought about this alot lately...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as they turn 18 they can pay for their own cell phone bill. Hell, if they choose to work part time when they are 16 they can pay their own cell phone bill. I will let them live at home and foot the grocery bill (to a reasonable extent) but that's it.

    The buses definatly do not come to prescott so I don't have that option unfortunatly.

    ReplyDelete