Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Misused Words: Forsaken

Sometimes I hear words over and over in certain mediums that seem to strike me. For the last few years or so I have seen/heard the word forsaken a lot and I think many times that I see or hear it, it is used in the wrong context.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting the way people are using it, but to me it seems like when people use it, they mean that they are being insulted, taken advantage of or used.

According to dictionary.com Forsaken is listed as:


–verb
1.
pp. of forsake.

–adjective
2.
deserted; abandoned; forlorn: an old, forsaken farmhouse.

So, I suppose if you are being insulted or taken advantage of, it may feel like you are being forsaken but technically the word means abandoned or deserted; "left behind" if you will.

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment